Re: st: Tabulation of a variable against itself lagged

From   Iulian Ihnatov <>
Subject   Re: st: Tabulation of a variable against itself lagged
Date   Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:48:44 +0300

Thank you, Robson!
The solution seems obvious, but I think my data may have an unappropriate structure. Let me explain. I had csv file which I imported in Stata, with the following structure:

I imported and structured the data to match other series that I use in my research, as follows:
* import data
insheet using regimuri.csv, delimiter(";")
* structure data
gen id1=_n
reshape long y, i(id1) j(year)
encode indicatorname, gen(varnum)
drop indicatorname
egen id2=group(countryname year)
reshape wide y, i(id2) j(varnum)
rename y1 regime

Now my data looks like:

If I use time series operators I get errors:
E.g: -tabulate regime L.regime- "time-series operators not allowed"
        -gen regime1=L.regime- "time variable not set"

Have I been wrong in transforming the data? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Iulian Ihnatov

Can you generate a new variable equal to the lag and then tabulate?

Robson Glasscock