st: Hierarchical Linear Modelling in Survival Anaysis

From   Lee Panas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Hierarchical Linear Modelling in Survival Anaysis
Date   Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:13:20 -0400

I am trying to do hierarchical linear modeling in survival analysis and am wondering whether this is possible in STATA or whether I should try another option.

I have a sample of about 8,000 patients served in about 100 substance abuse facilities. The dependent variable is time to arrest (TIMEARR) from start of treatment.

The primary independent variable is Engagement or ENGAGE. ENGAGE=1 if the patient received three services in the first 45 days of treatment. ENGAGE=0 otherwise. Co-variates include prior criminal justice involvement (PRIORCJ 0/1), FEMALE (0/1) and about 20 others. Those who were arrested within 45 days from the start of treatment are dropped from the analysis.

I want to control for clustering within facilty and to also estimate the effect of facility-level variables such as facility size (FACSIZE) and facility engagement rate (PCTENGAGE). I have controlled for clustering using the SHARED command:

stset timearr, failure(arrested)
stcox engage priorcj female , shared(facility)

Is there a way to also estimate the effect of FACSIZE and PCTENGAGE. I could put them in the model as individual level variables, but facility level variables are preferred.

Thanks for any advice which you can provide.

Lee