RE: st: -outreg, keep() - with factor variables. Basic question

From   "Jesper Lindhardsen" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: -outreg, keep() - with factor variables. Basic question
Date   Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:57:43 +0200

Hi Ricardo,
This is just to say that I get the same error. Perhaps factorvariables are yet supported in full (works fine with -keep(price) ).
Best, Jesper

Jesper Lindhardsen
MD, PhD candidate
Department of Cardiovascular Research
Copenhagen University Hospital, Gentofte

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Ricardo Ovaldia
Sent: 14 September 2011 18:09
Subject: Re: st: -outreg, keep() - with factor variables. Basic question

I posted this yesterday and did not received a reply. I am thinking that  this means that either there is no solution or I was not clear.
In case it was the second: how can I limit the output from -outreg- to a single factor variable if I do not use -xi- to create dummies?

Here is my original query:

How do I refer to a factor variable or level of a variable in -outreg, keep() - without using -xi-?

For example using the auto data:

. sysuse auto,clear
  (1978 Automobile Data)
. regress mpg i.rep78#c.price i.rep78 price
  <output omitted>
. outreg , nosubstat stats(b se ci p) keep( 2.rep78 )
  2: operator invalid
  stata(): 3598 Stata returned error
  KeepDrop(): -function returned error
  MakeSmat(): -function returned error
  CalcStats(): -function returned error
  <istmt>: -function returned error

I  want to output  only the -rep78- variable values without having to use the -xi- prefix.

Thank you in advance,

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Oklahoma City, OK

*   For searches and help try: