Re: st: RE: round

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: round
Date   Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:54:15 +0100

I recommend otherwise.

Confusing (1) what decimal number you want stored, (2) how that is
held in binary and (3) what is to be displayed, which is really a
string, is a recipe for frustration.

To get a display to so many decimal places, use the appropriate
-format-. -round(whatever, .01)- just replaces one binary
approximation by another. Most multiples of .01 cannot be held

-round()- is a very useful function for rounding to (multiples of)
integers. It is also defined, evidently, for non-integer second
arguments, but that does not mean it can deliver the impossible.

Over the years on Statalist, this question has I guess wildly appeared
hundreds of times. -search precision- for blog entries, articles and
FAQs on the subject, starting with anything written by Bill Gould.