RE: st: Assistance regarding a maximum likelihood model

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Assistance regarding a maximum likelihood model
Date   Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:51:44 -0400

Hi Jeremy,
I don't exactly know what "ml check/search/maximize" is supposed to do, but it sounds like you are talking about a Poisson model. Is that what you're estimating below? Are the different activities highly correlated (i.e., those who contribute more hours to one activity tend to contribute more to all of them)? Or is there no such pattern?
If "initial values" means the same thing as starting values for the estimates, these should ideally be a best guess informed by theory and prior empirical work. But in my experience with different programs, it often doesn't matter and the default values work OK. You might want to try a range of plausible starting values and see if you always get convergence to the same optimum, and then you have some confidence that it's the global max.
Best,
Cam