Re: st: using xtline to create panel data plots

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: using xtline to create panel data plots
Date   Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:28:28 +0100

Even if there were, a chaos of different scales would surely ensue.

What I suggest is that you think of

1. whether some nonlinear scale would help (seemingly not logarithmic
if 0 is a value, but cube root or asinh are other possibilities).

2. an appropriate standardisation for graphical purposes, which might
be for each panel (e.g.)

(value - mean) / sd, value / mean or (value - min)/(max - min)

With #1 or  #2, you'd need to create the variable first: -gen- would
be handy for #1 and -egen- would be handy for #2.

Nick