Re: st: Fisher's exact test

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Fisher's exact test
Date   Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:32:59 +0100

On 2011 MFómh 12, at 17:52, Beatrice Crozza wrote:

> I would like to compute the ratio between the mean trading volume
> around announcements and the mean trading volume at the same time of
> the day on non-announcement days.
> I want than to test if these two means are significantly different at 5% level.
> I read this post:
> Since when there is the news I have only 5 obs, I want to use the
> Fisher’s exact test.

If you only have five observations there is a very good chance that an effect size that would be considered of real life importance would go undetected in your data. With five observations, you probably have a case series rather than a statistical sample.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland