st: Exporting descriptive statistics to excel

From   Kyle Peyton <>
Subject   st: Exporting descriptive statistics to excel
Date   Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:23:33 +0000

Hi all,

I've been trying to work out something that I think should be pretty simple. I have a large time series dataset and I want to examine the very basic summary statistics that are reported by the sum command for several select variables across 9 years. The code I have written to accomplish this in Stata is the following:

forvalues year = 2000/2009  {
      foreach x of varlist `list1' {
                display `year'
                sum `x' if year == `year'

Which loops through and gives me the summary statistics for each variable in each year. Unfortunately this is quite a long list. Is it possible to export the data to excel and have a look at each variable across each year, so my top excel row would look like this: Year Variable Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max for a total of 8 columns, which would contain all my summary statistics? I realize it may be better if I first rename all the variables in `list1' to include a _year suffix and thereby reduce my desired excel column width to 7 before trying to export. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.