Re: st: Estimating the hazard function

From   <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Estimating the hazard function
Date   Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:35:28 +0100

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:54:29 +0700
From: "Yusvita Triwiadhian S." <>
Subject: Re: st: Estimating the hazard function

Mr. brendan, I have a problem like you. I also want to know the h(t)
estimated at each time point. but I still don't know how to get it.

If 'time at risk' is a continuous variable (which is what you appear to
be assuming), then estimates of the hazard rate cannot be defined. That
is why there is no estimate provided in the -st- suite. What the suite
provides is, as Steve Samuels told you, estimates of the /smoothed/
hazard. The distinction is fairly standard, and I recommend that you
consult textbooks and the Stata ST manual to learn more about the
issues. It is only when 'time at risk' is a discrete variable that the
hazard rate per se is well defined (but it is an 'interval hazard' not
the continuous time hazard).

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Department of Social Policy and STICERD
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Tel: +44(0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP
Survival Analysis Using Stata:
Downloadable papers and software: