Re: st: Return-based style analysis / Shape's Quadratic Programming technique

Subject   Re: st: Return-based style analysis / Shape's Quadratic Programming technique
Date   Mon, 12 Sep 2011 04:04:38 -0400

Christopher Garlich <[email protected]>:
Full references please.  R-squared is the same with transformed coefs.
Transforming and retransforming coefs is an intuitive method of
constrained optimization.

If you have different average returns for different asset classes, and
you are trying to maximize average returns, the optimum will be b=1
for the max and b=0 elsewhere, which the mlogit transform will have
trouble with.  Presumably you care about the riskiness of asset
classes, but you will need to be more clear about what you want to
estimate if you want better advice.  You seem to want to replicate the
return on an existing portfolio?  Set of portfolios?