Re: st: My stata won't -tab- with my value labels - why?

From   José Maria Pacheco de Souza <>
Subject   Re: st: My stata won't -tab- with my value labels - why?
Date   Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:18:33 -0300

Em 10/09/2011 06:50, daniel klein escreveu:
There is one thing I would like to point out in José Maria's code.

Note that you cannot label system missing values (ie. .). Labels may
only be associated with extended missing values (i.e. .a, .b, ...,
.z). Thus, you should code

label define labelname 0 "male" 1 "female" .a "missing"

rather than

label define labelname 0 "male" 1 "female" . "missing"

if you want your missing values to be labeled.

Best Daniel

Thank you very much.
Your observation/correction reinforces in the thread "What to Tell others to learn Stata in a short time period" the Statalist as an important source of learning.
josé maria

Jose Maria Pacheco de Souza
Professor Titular (aposentado), Colaborador Senior
Departamento de Epidemiologia/Faculdade de Saude Publica, USP
Av. Dr. Arnaldo, 715
01246-904  -  S. Paulo/SP - Brasil
fones (11)3061-7747; (11)3768-8612