Re: st: What to Tell others to learn Stata in a short time period

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What to Tell others to learn Stata in a short time period
Date   Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:23:12 +0500

You are right Poggio and Sarkar!

But most of the time, we in Pakistan do not have access to such
materials due to many technical and financial reasons including power
and net disconnectivity, and low level of income which restrict our
use of internet to access such material and purchase books which cost
thousands of Rupees when converted the Dollar price to rupees. This
restricts the use of Stata by many of our students and colleagues in
Stata. I usually motivate my students to use Stata because of its
diversity of usability in basic econometric both for micro and macro
models, qualitative techniques. I want them to have some ready to
access resources so they are very independent in using Stata, have
access to resources which are are either free or have very cheaper
access. The two I mentioned in the previous email tell this
indirectly. I just want to list a few resources so I could present
this to them and they Start loving Stata to use.

Hope some resources are listed in this thread.

Thanks for your time to help me in this regard.

Anees

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Teresio Poggio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Anees,
>
> Stata help files and Statalist are crucial resources and two of the
> main reasons to use Stata in my point of view. But their use often
> involves that you already know what are you looking for. This is not
> always the case for beginners.
>
> There are several good books from StataPress targeted to Stata's beginners.
> http://www.stata-press.com/books/
>
> When first approaching Stata, as an autodidact, I've found really
> useful the tutorials available on-line. Now they are even more than in
> the past:
> http://www.stata.com/links/resources1.html
>
> I'm particularly in debt with colleagues at UCLA:
> http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>
> Hope this helps.
> Best
>
> Teresio
>
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Muhammad Anees <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This problem is not related to using Stata for Statistics or
>> Econometrics. It is about telling others how to learn Stata in short
>> time and more efficiently. What should I let, my colleagues and
>> students, know to use to learn Stata more quickly and in short time,
>> so they do not rely on others for basic use of Stata.
>>
>> What I suggest to them is to Use the Stata help files and the Stata List
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Anees
>> *