st: My stata won't -tab- with my value labels - why?

From   Brandon Olszewski <olszewski.brandon@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: My stata won't -tab- with my value labels - why?
Date   Fri, 9 Sep 2011 14:56:01 -0700

Hi all:
I'm frustrated because I can't get -tab- output with the value labels,
but instead, only their numeric codes. Here's a simplified example...
Let's say I've got the var <female> coded as 0 and 1.
.
label define 0 "male" 1 "female"
tab fem, sort mis

...produces -tab- output that doesn't include the labels "male" and
"female", but instead, 0 & 1. I want a labeled table of frequencies
(sorted, and showing missing observations, in this case) so that I
don't have to manually insert the labels.
Clearly with this example it doesn't matter too much. But with the
dataset I've got, it is consequential.
This should be simple. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing
wrong, and how to fix it?
Thanks,
Brandon