st: Change variable

From   Ay <>
Subject   st: Change variable
Date   Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:27:00 +1000

I am using stata 11.0

How can i generate or change a variable that contains for instance, educational level or father and mother as 'Type'?
The variables are in strings format.

The reason i am asking this question is that, i want to merge these 'type' variable (var B) with other variable.
I could not do this since the second file only has variable A as individual id variable. While in the first file, it has var A and var B ('type' or level variable) as unique Id.

If anyone knows other ways besides generating the type variable before merging, I really appreciate it.

Variable a

Variable b(type)

Many thanks.