Re: st: Bootstrapping & clustered standard errors (-xtreg-)

Subject   Re: st: Bootstrapping & clustered standard errors (-xtreg-)
Date   Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:28:05 -0500

Tobias,

I would say that you are worried about exactly the wrong things. The
sampling weights control mostly for unequal probabilities of
selection, and for well-designed and well-conducted surveys,
non-response adjustments are not that large, while probabilities of
selection might differ quite notably. While it is true that if you can
fully condition on the design variables and non-response propensity,
you can ignore the weights, I am yet to see an example where that
would happen. Believing that your model is perfect is... uhm... naive,
let's put it mildly; if anything, econometrics moves away from making
such strong assumptions as "my model is absolutely right" towards
robust methods of inference that would allow for some minor deviations
from the "absolutely right" scenario. There are no assumptions of
normality made anywhere in the process of calculating the standard
errors. All arguments are asymptotic, and you see z- rather than
t-statistics in the output. In fact, the arguments justifying the
bootstrap are asymptotic, as well. You can still entertain the
bootstrap idea, but basically the only way to check that you've done
it right is to compare the bootstrap standard errors with the
clustered standard errors. If they are about the same, any of them is
usable; if they are wildly different (say by more than 50%), I would
not either of them, but I would first check to see that the bootstrap
was done right.

I know that PNAS is a huge impact factor journal in natural sciences,
but a statistics journal? or an econometrics journal? I mean, it's
cool to have a paper there on your resume, but I doubt many statalist
subscribers look at this journal for methodological insights (some
data miners or bioinformaticians or other statisticians on the margin
of computer science do publish in PNAS, though). I would not turn to
an essentially applied psychology paper for advice on clustered
standard errors.

The error that you report probably comes from the bootstrap producing
a sample with fewer cluster identifiers than regressors in your model.
Normally, this would be rectified by specifying -idcluster()- option;
however in some odd cases, the bootstrap samples may still be
underidentified. I don't know whether the fixed effects regression
should be prone to such empirical underidentification. It might be,
given that not all of the parameters of an arbitrary model are
identified (the slopes of the time-invariant variables aren't).