Re: st: Testing for serial correlation in small panel samples

From   Scott Merryman <>
Subject   Re: st: Testing for serial correlation in small panel samples
Date   Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:10:05 -0500

It is based on -xtreg,fe-   The BFN Durbin Watson is also easy to calculate.

webuse grunfeld,clear
qui xtregar inv mva, fe lbi
disp "modified Bhargava et al. Durbin-Watson = " e(d1)

qui xtreg inve mval, fe
predict double e,e
gen double bfn = sum((e- l.e)^2)/sum(e^2)
cl bfn in l, noobs

The original BFN paper supplies upper and lower bounds for Durbin
Watson statistic.   For a large number of cross sections, if it less
than 2 then it would indicate positive serial correlation.

Bhargava, A., Franzini, and W. Narendranathan. 1982. "Serial
correlation and fixed effects model." Review of
    Economic Studies 49, p. 533 - 549.