Re: st: Bootstrapping & clustered standard errors (-xtreg-)

Subject   Re: st: Bootstrapping & clustered standard errors (-xtreg-)
Date   Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:03:27 -0500

Tobias,

can you please explain why you need the bootstrap at all? The
bootstrap standard errors are equivalent to the regular -cluster-
standard errors asymptotically (in this case, with the number of
clusters going off to infinity), and, if anything, it is easier to get
the bootstrap wrong than right with difficult problems. If -cluster-
option works at all with -xtreg-, I see little reason to use the
bootstrap. (Very technically speaking, in my simulations, I've seen
the bootstrap standard errors to be more stable than -robust- standard
errors with large number of the bootstrap repetitions that have to be
in an appropriate relations with the sample size; whether that carries
over to the cluster standard errors, I don't know.)