Re: st: tabstatmat question

From   "Alvarez,Sergio" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: tabstatmat question
Date   Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:35:09 -0400

Sorry about ambiguity.

So I used the mean by group code to create the matrix that would store the mean values for each group, using:

egen byv=group(zone wave), lab
tabstat num_typ3, stat(mean) by(byv) save
tabstatmat TABLE

which gives me a matrix, or rather a vector, with all the values I need. The first few lines of the matrix in the output screen look like this:

  1†1:mean  1.9822335
  1†2:mean  2.6614173
  1†3:mean  2.7150396
  1†4:mean  3.3340782
  1†5:mean  2.8161094
  1†6:mean  1.1767857
  2†1:mean  1.5857143
  2†2:mean  2.1863208
  2†3:mean   2.542777
  2†4:mean  1.8849432

Now what I want to do is use -gen- or -egen- to create a variable that would look up the zone and wave of the corresponding observation from the matrix and insert the correct value in there. So I tried:

gen meancatch = TABLE[zone,wave]

and this gives the correct values for all observations with wave = 1, but creates missing values on the rest of the observations. I also tried:

gen meancatch = TABLE[byv,num_typ3]

and this gives me the correct value in some of the observations, but mostly missing values in the others.

So I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. I guess the question is how to call the row and column numbers from the TABLE matrix?

Thanks again,