st: Asking: choose between collapse and sort,copy-paste

From   Yun <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Asking: choose between collapse and sort,copy-paste
Date   Sat, 3 Sep 2011 01:41:37 +1000

I am using stata 11.0
I plan to merge some files which have different unique ID.
All the unique IDs are in string.

So, i have in a file three different columns as ID: ID1, ID2, & school type

And in other file, the column is: ID1, ID2

However, I supposed that school types data prevents me to merge between files.

I use this command: sort varlists, stable

Then i copy and paste the same type or level in a new column within the same file. I do not know whether this is the correct way to do it.

I read stata help online about collapse but still do not know how to do it correctly.

The schooltype column is in string containing data:
A=primary school
B=secondary school
C=tertiary school

I am wondering if stata has command to separate this type so i can merge between files correctly.

Thank you for your help.