re:Re: st: Polynomial Fitting and RD Design

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re:Re: st: Polynomial Fitting and RD Design
Date   Fri, 2 Sep 2011 10:19:33 -0400

I'd like to add a little more verbiage to Austin's points:

Perhaps one of the most important developments in the RD design in the last
decade, is to focus attention at the cutoff. In other words, we expect that
if individuals cannot manipulate their assignment score, then individuals
close to the cutoff on either side, should be comparable, and thus, the
design is "as good as randomized".

In order for this to be valid, the primary issue is determining the size of
the neighborhood around the cutoff (where the model will be performed). As
Austin points out, this is a function of both kernel (usually the triangle
kernel is used in the RD context) and bandwidth (a lot of choices available
for this, but the optimal bandwidth is an automated process that remove the
burden from the researcher from testing many alternatives).

So why is this important? Well, as we see from this thread, when one uses
all the data (not restricted to a local neighborhood around the cutoff),
then model fit away from the cutoff comes into play. This leads to the use
of polynomials (and all the problems we see with that). Conversely, using a
local neighborhood allows us to focus on the individuals who are most
similar.

Ariel