Re: st: Package -ghansen- now available in SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Package -ghansen- now available in SSC
Date   Fri, 2 Sep 2011 08:39:27 +0100

My guess is that there is no problem with Muhammad's data.

There is a small problem with the code. Jorge is declaring -version
9.2- for his Stata program, but probably developed his code under a
later version and did not actually test his code under version 9.2.
This is slightly risky as far as your users are concerned if they are
using an earlier version than you are. Recall that -version- is not a
time machine! (What it is and is not is discussed at greater length in
<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/version2.html>.)

Also, Muhammad is not using the latest version of Stata; otherwise
this code should have worked. Recall that on Statalist you are
requested to make clear if you are not using the latest version.

This line of Mata is biting

x=st_data(.,X,touse)

Jorge should for compatibility change this to

x=st_data(., tokens(X), touse)

In fact the problem is made clear by the error message.

variable y z e t not found

The version of -st_data()- on Muhammad's Stata thinks that he thinks
"y z e t" is a single variable name, because it doesn't parse on
spaces to make this a list of four variable names. It is of course not
a single variable name.

In recent Statas, -st_data()- is more indulgent and will parse on
spaces for you.

I didn't realise, or had forgotten, that -st_data()- had changed since
first introduced in Stata 9 until a thread started last month in

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-08/msg00403.html

in which this difference was exposed as a cause of (my) misunderstanding.

Any way, it is an easy fix, although I am not certifying that there
may not be other small problems of this type.

Nick