st: complex panel data variable generation question

From   "Hoffman, George" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: complex panel data variable generation question
Date   Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:28:39 -0500

I have a panel dataset of observations in individuals (i=1-15) over time (t=1-4000)
The observations are sequential by minute, but the duration of observation for each individual is not identical.
I have xtdes, i(i) t(t)

Within the observation period are epochs (1-8) defined by events that do not occur at identical intervals but do occur sequentially.
In additional to the observations that occur at minute intervals are measurements made only at the end of each epoch.

What I would like to do is generate a difference between the measures made once per epoch, but since these observations do not occur at regular intervals I can't get his to work (using sorting, by i: gen...)

Suggestions?
Thank you
George Hoffman