Re: st: RES: generating a variable with pre-specified correlations with other two (given) variables

From   fjc <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RES: generating a variable with pre-specified correlations with other two (given) variables
Date   Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:41:34 -0300

Thanks, Tirthankar.

This answers my question as originally posted.

Now, something I didn't say in my earlier post (and I think I should
have) is that after I generate the new variable (z) I would like to
run a regression of y on x and z. But if I generate z in the way you
propose, I will get perfect collinearity. ¿Is there any other way to
generate z without getting this collinearity?

Francisco.

P.D. The reason I want to run the aforementioned regression is the
following. Suppose I have an initial regression of y on x, and x turns
out to be insignificantly different from zero at some chosen
confidence level. Then I want to generate an example in which adding a
new (artificial) variable z as a covariate I can get x to become
significantly different from zero at the same confidence level. Based
on the formula for the t-test, I think I can do this if I can control
the correlations between the artificial variable and the original
ones. The excercise is just for expositional purposes, I do not want
to attach any deep meaning to it.