st: supply known-variance matrix for xtmixed?

From   Brian Goodness <>
Subject   st: supply known-variance matrix for xtmixed?
Date   Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:12:29 -0700

Is there a way in STATA to supply a known-variance matrix (rather than
it be estimated) to the xtmixed command (i.e., specify G, the
covariance matrix for the random effects) for meta-analyses?  I am not
familiar with SAS, but according to its syntax for the mixed effects
specification (PROC MIXED), you can read in the G matrix by using the
GDATA= option in the RANDOM statement (see

Just wondering if this is possible using STATA, since I'm a STATA
user.  Any advice is much appreciated.