st: Computing proportions within generated reference groups

From   Namrata Chindarkar <>
Subject   st: Computing proportions within generated reference groups
Date   Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:54:07 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I have created reference groups in my dataset using -egen- and now
want to compute proportions within those groups for certain variables.
For instance, for the income variable, I want to compute the
proportion of individuals that have income greater than income of
individual "i" in each reference group. As an example if group1 has 5
individuals with incomes 30, 20, 10, 60, and 70 respectively, I want
to be able to get values 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 0.2, and 0 respectively.
Any suggestions on how to write a STATA program to compute this?