RE: st: Transposing dotplot (changing axes)

From   Fredrik Norström <fredrik.norstrom@epiph.umu.se>
Subject   RE: st: Transposing dotplot (changing axes)
Date   Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:31:38 +0200

Thanks for the dataset.

It worked perfectly well with auto but not with my own dataset. I have one variable with 4 agegroups of same format as rep78 which 5 have groups and I have a variable with integers ranging from -15 to 15. When I try this command "stripplot mpg, over(rep78) stack h(0.5)" (I even renamed by variables to same name and tested) it will still give stack all observations at same point despite working perfectly when using the autodata. I am very puzzled that things are not working as I tried over and over again.

Have you ever heard of a similar problem? Could it be a strange bug with the stripplot command or am I missing out on something very obvious?

Regards,

Fredrik

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: den 30 augusti 2011 12:19
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Transposing dotplot (changing axes)

Not so. -stack- shows as many data points as observations, tied or
not, so long as you have enough space to show them.

As the help says

"stack specifies that data points with identical values are to be stacked,
        as in -dotplot-, except that by default there is no binning of data."

Look at

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. stripplot mpg, stack