Re: st: foreach / forvalues loop error

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: foreach / forvalues loop error
Date   Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:37:27 -0700

Steve,

I think that the way you have it set up now is actually safer coding,
but if you are sure about the order of items in your local then here
is the concision you are looking for. The relevant loop is the last
one.

/*******************************************/
clear*

// generate some data
set obs 110
gen primsitenum = .
g primary_site=""

// email readable local declaration (local now a string)
local x "Oral Cavity Oropharynx Hypopharynx Larynx"
local x "`x' Nasopharynx Paranasal Sinus Skin Salivary"
local x "`x' Gland Unknown Primary Thyroid Other Site"

forv i=0/10 {
 replace primary_site = "`:word `=`i'+1' of `x''" ///
	in `=`i'*10+1'/`=(`i'+1)*10'
}

// make replacements
forvalues i = 1/11 {