Re: st: Ordered Probit Interpretation

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Ordered Probit Interpretation
Date   Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:36:57 +0200

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Venkiteshwaran, Vinod wrote:
> Actually that was a typo. I did mean to say that Y*_it is upward, no change and downward.  What is the difference between mprobit and oprobit? Is mprobit applicable with ordered choices?

-mprobit- is for categorical variables and -oprobit- is for ordered
variables. You can of course treat an ordered variable as categorical,
just not the other way around. For more see -help mprobit- and -help

> My concern was that X_it predicts Y_it but not Y*_it.  I am at a loss trying to explain this result.

If I understand you correctly Y_it is a level and Y*_it is the change
in that level (presumably over t). Level and change are two different
things, a variable can have an effect on a level without influencing
the change and vice versa. So I do not understand why that would be a

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen