st: SVY question

From   "Pavlopoulos, D." <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: SVY question
Date   Fri, 26 Aug 2011 14:53:20 +0000

Dear statalisters,

I have a rather complex survey design and I want to use the svy for it. I sample firms and then individuals within these firms stratified according to the firm size and the use of a flexible work arrangement X.

Specifically, I split firms into those using the arrangement X and those that do not use it. Within each group of firms I sample firms in strata defined by the firm size (proportional sampling according to the distribution of the firm size in the whole labour market).

Then, within each firm than does not use the arrangement X, I select a random sample of workers of a fixed size n. Within each firm that uses the arrangement X, I split the workers in those taking up the arrangement and those that do not and I select a random sample of workers within each group so that the total sample of workers in the firm equals n.

How should I define svyset?

I would appreciate your help! Please note that I am using Stata 11.

dr. Dimitris Pavlopoulos

Assistant Professor
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Faculty of Social Sciences
dept. of Sociology
De Boelelaan 1081 (visiting address Metropolitan Building, Buitenveldertselaan 3)
1081 HV Amsterdam
the Netherlands

tel: +31 (0)20 59 89254