Re: st: command stata

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: command stata
Date   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:08:11 -0400

At 09:09 PM 8/25/2011, Donsaane Dontsi Saatena wrote:
Thanks Richard.

That is if I understand I can do : egen infrastructures = group
(roads, water, electricity)?

You ought to be able to give the command, but how well it works will depend on how the 3 vars are coded. If they each have very few categories (e.g. good, fair, poor) you should be fine, but if they have hundreds of categories the resulting variable may not be very useful.

I would also probably want to include the label option, unless it is easy to follow what the numbers stand for.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam