RE: st: Useful labelling of dummy variables following logit

From   Tim Evans <Tim.Evans@wmciu.nhs.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Useful labelling of dummy variables following logit
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:33:48 +0100

Nick,

I've tried this and get the following error:

egen axis= axis(estimate), label(parm)
unknown egen function axis()
r(133);

Any ideas?

Best wishes
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 24 August 2011 14:31
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Useful labelling of dummy variables following logit

Maarten's example doesn't show variable labels. Here is one way to do
it. I may well be overlooking an option in -parmest-.

Nick

sysuse nlsw88, clear
logit union married never_married collgrad south

local i = 0
foreach v in married never_married collgrad south {
	local l`v' : variable label `v'
}

parmest, norestore eform
foreach v in married never_married collgrad south {
	replace parm = "`l`v''" if parm == "`v'"
}

replace parm = "(intercept)" if parm == "_cons"

egen axis= axis(estimate), label(parm)

twoway bar  estimate axis, base(1) horizontal barw(.5) ///
            xline(1) ylab(, valuelabel ang(h) noticks) ||             ///
       rcap min95 max95 axis, horizontal               ///
            legend(order(1 "point estimate"            ///
                         2 "95% conf. int.") pos(6))   ///
            xtitle("odds ratio") ytitle("")

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Maarten Buis <maartenlbuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Tim Evans <Tim.Evans@wmciu.nhs.uk> wrote:
>> Nick, in your last post, are you suggesting an alternative way of presenting things as I'm not sure I follow what you mean by:
>>
>> ' I'd much prefer to work at a graphical display of odds
>> ratios and confidence limits with variable labels as horizontal text'
>
> See, e.g. <http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-09/msg00525.html>

_DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.