Re: st: Nearest neighbor distance

Subject   Re: st: Nearest neighbor distance
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:13:44 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Lange, Sandra wrote:
> The Kogut&Singh index is a composite measure of distance of Hofestede's cultural dimensions.

The only thing that people on the Statalist have in common is that
they use Stata. Otherwise they come from wildly different disciplines.
I am sure that Geert Hofstede (not Hofestede) is "world famous" within
your discipline (and coming from an adjacent discipline I have heard
of him as well), but to most on this list this sentence is completely
unreadable. However, that does not mean that they could not have
something useful to say about it. Very often the same statistic is
"re-invented" many times in different disciplines, and as a result
exists under completely different names. So if someone asks you on
this list what such a statistic means, you are much more likely to
obtain useful advise by explaining what it is supposed to measure and
how it does so, or by giving a complete reference (with emphasis on
complete).

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie