Re: st: Generate new var - sum of multiple var

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Generate new var - sum of multiple var
Date   Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:25:28 +0200

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Jonathan Grondin wrote:
> I have a 4 questions survey(q1, q2, q3, q4). Each one of the 4
> questions can either be answered by 1 or by 0.
> I'd like to generate a new variable(new_var) holding, for every
> participants, the number of question they answered with the value 1.
> In other word, the sum of the 4 questions.
> new_var would then hold values from 0 to 4

gen newvar = q1 + q2 + q3 + q4

egen newvar = rowtotal(q*)

There are subtle differences between these solutions in the way they
handle missing values, see -help egen-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie