Re: st: basic question

From   Phil Clayton <philclayton@internode.on.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: basic question
Date   Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:19:08 +1000

You can use it, but sal will be missing when any one of v9535, v9102 or v1022 are missing. This is correct when you think about it - how do you the know the sum of some numbers when you don't know what all the numbers are?

If, for your purposes, it's valid to consider missing values to be excluded from the total, you could use the -egen- function rowtotal:

egen sal=rowtotal(v9535 v9102 v1022)

See -help egen-

Phil