st: import excel-file too big

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: import excel-file too big
Date   Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:30:37 -0700 (PDT)

I wrote an -do- file that first imports a series of excel sheets into Stata  using the -import- command.
However, some of the sheets are too big and I get the corresponding error message "File too big".
I can convert the sheet to a tab delimited txt file and use -insheet- to import. That works, but this is tedious because I have lots of files and they will change from time to time.
Is there a way (code) to create the  tab delimited txt file from inside the -do- program? Or does anyone have an alternative that can be automated?
Thank you,

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Oklahoma City, OK