st: unstacking

From   Abhimanyu Arora <abhimanyu.arora1987@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: unstacking
Date   Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:42:11 +0200

Dear statalist
I have 4 variables country_characteristic (Taking values such as GDP,
Imports, exports etc.), country, year and value (of the corresponding
country_char).
The end result that I would like to see is the following form
country    year    GDP    Imports     Exports       (variable values
now being variable names)

I tried the following command

.reshape wide var, i(country year) j(country_char) string

but didn't work out.

Would be thankful for a solution
Best regards
Abhimanyu