Re: st: mac editor for big files

From   Phil Schumm <pschumm@uchicago.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: mac editor for big files
Date   Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:17:06 -0500

On Aug 19, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Richard Goldstein wrote:
> I currently use Text Wrangler; however, neither it nor BBEdit will, apparently, edit ascii files >1 GB in size (I have 32 GB of RAM); does anyone know of an editor for the Mac that will edit files of >1 GB?

I'm afraid that for files of that size, vim may be your only option (it can certainly handle files in excess of 1GB).  Check out the LargeFile plugin (written by Charles Campbell), which disables some features in order to speed up processing large files.

-- Phil