Re: st: 3 or 4-level hierarchical models with noncontinuous dv

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 3 or 4-level hierarchical models with noncontinuous dv
Date   Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:21:13 +0200

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:52 AM, Jana von Stein wrote:
> I am looking for a way to run a 3- or 4-level hierarchical model with a
> noncontinuous dependent variable (specifically a 5-point ordinal scale). Is
> there a way to use Stata's XTMIXED for this purpose, or any other Stata
> command?

That sounds like a job for -gllamm-. You can install it by typing in
Stata -ssc install gllamm-.

-gllamm- is like a Swiss army knive: you can do about anything with
it, but there are two downsides. First, in order to allow you to do
about anything with it the syntax needs to be rather complex.
Fortunately, there is a complete manual and many examples available at
<www.gllamm.org>. Still using -gllamm- is not going to be as easy as
using an average Stata command. Second for it to be so general it
cannot use specialized, and thus faster, algorithms, so it is slow.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie