Re: st: stattransfer

From   Roger Newson <r.newson@imperial.ac.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: stattransfer
Date   Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:47:04 +0100

Peter does not state which Stat/Transfer version is being used here. However, if you try to transfer a Stata 12 dataset using any Stat/Transfer version below Version 11, then Stat/Transfer will not recognize the Stata 12 dataset. (Traditionally, Stat/Transfer Version K is shipped on the same day as Stata Version K+1, and adds the ability to recognize Stata Version K+1 datafiles, if these are different from Stata Version K datafiles.)

The fix is probably to create the Stata dataset in Stata Version 12 using -saveold- instead of -save-. This will create a Stata Versioon 11 dataset, which (as I understand it) is the same thing as a Stata Version 10 dataset, and will therefore be recognized by Stat/Transfer Versions 10 and 9. I myself have used this fix in the latest version of my own -stcmd- package, which you can download from SSC, and which calls Stat/Transfer from inside Stata.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil