st: AR(1) in panel data

From   Mauro Mastrogiacomo <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AR(1) in panel data
Date   Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:03:33 +0200

Hi,
A referee is asking me to check the degree of persistence of income shocks in my panel data across two groups. I have thought of looking at the difference between income and its mean (call it y) and estimate two AR(1) models like:
y_{t}=alpha*y_{t-1}+epsilon
and the compare the results for both groups.

How to estimate this?
Pooled OLS (that is to say "reg ..., cluster") doesn't look appropriate as I need to assume that y and its' lag are exogenous to one another!
The only alternative I could come up with was xtabond. The problem is it seems to me overkill, for such a simple check, to have to use such an expensive model (which would cost met a couple of instruments).

Any suggestion on a quick and easy way to estimate an AR(1) in panel data?
Thanks
Mauro

Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet
de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt
u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen.
De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die
verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het elektronisch verzenden van
berichten.

This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are
not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are
requested to inform the sender and delete the message. The State accepts no
liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the
electronic transmission of messages.