RE: st: replacement

From   "Gannaway Jack WWG HWWD" <JACK.GANNAWAY@dwp.gsi.gov.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: replacement
Date   Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:51:27 +0100

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.  I realise I may not have made myself very clear.  I am not trying to change the labels, but rather the actual content of the variable.  My original table is effectively categorical (a,b,c,d).  However, rather than simply using something like this:

Forvalues y=1/3 {
Replace v`y'=1 if v`y'=="a"
Replace v`y'=2 if v`y'=="b"
}

Which has as many scores as letters (4 in the example below), I want to replace the letters with scores which are specific to Y, meaning you have up to 3 x 4 scores in this example.

I know this is something which is fairly reasonable to do, but I was just wondering if there was a way of doing it which would minimise the opportunity for human error if the scores change (which they will!).

Many thanks.

Jack

      Jack Gannaway
        Economic Adviser |  Department for Work & Pensions, Caxton House, Tothill Street, London, SW1H 9D
        jack.gannaway@dwp.gsi.gov.uk | Tel: 02074 495704 (x 65704)