Re: st: Programming Stata

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Programming Stata
Date   Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:00:37 +0100

On 16 August 2011 13:41, natasha agarwal <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
>
> I am trying to write and run a program in Stata. The program I define
> is as follows and I save it in the do-file
>
> capture program drop fdi
> program fdi, rclass
> local x " lnvfdi mfdi"
> xtprobit expdum 'x', re
> gen double x1b1hat, xb
> gen double scale = normalden(x1bhat1)
> gen double pe1=scale*_b[lnvfdi]
> summarize pe1, meanonly
> return scalar ape1=r(mean)
> drop x1b1hat scale pe1
> end
>
> When I type fdi, I get an error invalid file name.
>
> Can anyone please help me?

If you are going to write it as a program then you should save it as
[filename].ado (not [filename].do as you are implying) and place it in
one of your systems -adopath-'s (to see what these are simply type
-adopath- in Stata.

See [U] 16-18 for greater details on "Do-Files" (Chapter 16)
"Ado-Files (Chapter 17) and "Programming Stata (Chapter 18).

Neil

--
"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body

Neil Shephard
Clinical Trials Research Unit /
NIHR Research Design Service for Yorkshire & the Humber
University of Sheffield