st: Aggregating medians in a group (median county income over metro statistical areas)

From   Tanuku AP <tanuku.ap@hotmail.com>
To   Stata <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Aggregating medians in a group (median county income over metro statistical areas)
Date   Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:34:23 -0400

Hello all,

My question is two part, (a) statistically sound method to aggregate (b) how to do it in Stata

My primary data set is made up of Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) in USA.  Each MSA may have several counties.  To the best of my knowledge, MSA->County is 1:m relation.

In a secondary data set based on __COUNTIES__, I have (i) median household income (ii) population.

(a) what would be sound method to aggregate household income over MSA (given the constraints of available data).  I thought of doing a population-weighted mean of the median household income ... however, I am unsure if this is a sound aggregation

(b) how can this be done in Stata (unless the answer to (a) implies a straightforward procedure)

--
Thanks,
Tanuku