Re: st: RE: last variable in the dataset

From   Matthew White <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: last variable in the dataset
Date   Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:51:32 +0300

I think using `r(varlist)' rather than r(varlist) could work with a
larger data set:
describe, short varlist
local lastvar : word `r(k)' of `r(varlist)'
By the way, I'm not sure why word("`r(varlist)'", -1) isn't working
for me for large data sets...

A Mata solution could be st_varname(st_nvar()).

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Mauro Mastrogiacomo
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Ricardo, if the dataset is not too large you can use
> des, varlist
> local myvars=r(varlist)
> dis "`myvars'"
> This produces a macro with all variables names. You can then extract the last one.
> However if there are too many variables this trick will not work.
> Last Monday Nick posted a different solution to a similar problem (comparing datasets), you might want to have a look at that (unfortunately I don't remember his answer entirely).
> One other option is to use the command order and decide yourself which is the last variable, so that you don't need to find that out.
> Hope this helps a little.
> Mauro

Matthew White
Evaluation Coordinator