Re: st: last variable in the dataset

From   Phil Schumm <pschumm@uchicago.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: last variable in the dataset
Date   Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:49:34 -0500

On Aug 13, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Ricardo Ovaldia wrote:
> I am writing an -ado- program that merges several datasets with different variables. I need to know the name of the last variable after the merge.  Is there a way to get the name of the last variable or refer to the last variable in the dataset?

Either

    mata: st_local("lastvar", st_varname(st_numscalar("c(k)")))

or

    qui ds
    loc lastvar: word `c(k)' of `r(varlist)'

will place the name of the last variable in the current dataset into the local macro lastvar.

-- Phil