st: Extension of -stptime- or -strate- commands to test 3 or more rates are equal

From   "Weichle, Thomas" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Extension of -stptime- or -strate- commands to test 3 or more rates are equal
Date   Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:58:17 -0500

Hi Statalisters,
-stptime- and -strate- will both calculate the rate as the number of
failures divided by the person-time, by different levels of an
explanatory variable.  I'm using an explanatory variable with 3 levels.

stptime if stage_ajcc5 == "I", by(dual_cc_3) dd(2) per(100)
strate dual_cc_3 if stage_ajcc5 == "I", per(100)

Both of these produce identical rate calculations.

I would like to do a global test that all 3 incidence rates are equal
(H0: IR1=IR2=IR3).  However, this does not appear to be possible using
these commands.  Also, the -stir- command does not allow for an exposure
variable that is not a 0/1 variable.  Does anyone have any experience
with performing a test like this or calculating the test external from
the command?

Tom Weichle
Math Statistician
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care (CMC3)
Hines VA Hospital, Bldg 1, C202
708-202-8387 ext. 24261