st: twoway, xscale( exp )?

Subject   st: twoway, xscale( exp )?
Date   Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:05:27 -0400

I have performed some analysis for a variable in its log scale, and I
wanted to graph these results (a moderately complex combination of
several -twoway- plots) showing the original scale of the variable.
There is -xscale( log )- option to go from $ to log($) for income
distributions and from OR to logit coefficients in binary models, but
I could not find an option that goes the other direction to
exponentiate things for labeling purposes. Is it possible to
meaningfully emulate it? I have logs in the range of about 5 to 10
which translate to levels in the thousands range, so putting them on
the same graph, while technically possible, leads to totally obscure
(and simply wrong) pictures.

As an example, think about

sysuse auto, clear
gen lprice = log(price)
twoway (kdensity lprice) (hist lprice)

My idea is to have something like -twoway ... , xaxis(1 2)- with the
second axis showing the original dollar amounts.