Re: st: running marginsplots without rerunning margins again

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: running marginsplots without rerunning margins again
Date   Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:16:22 -0500

At 08:02 AM 8/11/2011, Doug Hess wrote:
Thanks to Richard and Scott. Scott's suggestion worked
perfectly...once I figured out that "foo" wasn't a command

I'm not familiar with starting a command with the underscore (as in -
_retrun hold foo  - ), what is that underscore doing?

Likewise, I'm not familar with the colon after a command line (as in -
estimates esample: - ), what does that colon do there?

Thanks again.

That is actually the command's name, _return. Type

help _return

I'm not sure why and when Stata chooses to start a command with _, but I think they tend to be programmer commands that would not normally be used interactively. As for the colon, type

help estimates_save

It has to do with setting e(sample) correctly.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu