st: Mata and do files

From   Alex Olssen <>
Subject   st: Mata and do files
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:39:33 +1200

Hi everyone,

Apologies to anybody who gets this message twice - I just got an email
from Stata telling me my first message was bounced.  I checked the
archive and it doesn't appear to have arrived correctly.  In any

I am trying to learn some Mata and am having difficult running Mata
code from a do file.

For example I can use the following code interactively, but if I try
run it from the do-file editor I get error r(3000).  I have looked
around for an answer in [M] and the Statalist archives to no avail.

sysuse auto, clear
real scalar theta()
st_view(a = ., ., "price length weight")
a_cov = variance(a)
a_eigen = symeigensystem(a_cov, X = ., L = .)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex Olssen