Re: Re: st: date in stata

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: date in stata
Date   Mon, 8 Aug 2011 06:30:21 -0400

On Aug 8, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Austn wrote:

> You have convert all dates to the Gregorian calendar, however...
> remembering that nothing happened in the British
> colonies between 2 Sep and 14 Sep 1752 because those days did not exist,
> but there was a 30 Feb 1712 in Sweden.
> Presumably, anyone with data for early dates is aware of this, but it
> is worth remembering that
> there were non-negligible changes in 1582 and many subsequent years,
> differing by location:

Ah, yes, the "give us back the 11 days of our lives!" riots.  Good point, Austin. But fear not, medieval scholars: taking advantage of Stata 12's business-daily calendars, you can produce a business-daily calendar going back to Roman times that takes all of these issues into account (well, several; one would need a different calendar for, say, the US/UK than for Russia, which only adopted the Gregorian scheme at a much later date).

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |